Messed Up Priorities

***Rant Alert!

I've kept my mouth shut on Facebook, but it hasn't been easy. I keep hiding the posts that come up about it, hoping to avoid seeing them because they irritate me so much, but one still pops up every hour or two. What am I talking about? The furor, the near psychotic hysteria over 7 dogs being euthanized at an animal shelter in Richmond. With all the crap going on in the world right now, with Democrats actively trying to unseat a fairly elected President on the grounds that they don't like him and what that would do to our Republic, with the pot-bellied dictator in North Korea rattling his sabers, THIS warrants day after day of hand wringing and righteous indignation? Really? They're dogs, people. Dogs. Shelters euthanize dogs that aren't wanted. It has happened for years. The Richmond shelter is supposed to be no-kill, but there are exceptions, such as a "bite risk." I thought the shelter gave a very reasonable explanation, but apparently it's not enough. There are petitions circulating and several have jumped on the bandwagon, most before getting the whole story.

I haven't gotten into this on Facebook because I don't want to argue with people who are my friends, especially about something like this that in my opinion is not important compared with everything else going on. However, I'm entitled to my opinion too, and my blog is the best place for that rather than hijacking one of their threads. The humanization of animals is pervasive. I haven't seen the level of hysteria regarding this issue aimed at anything else that's going on in the world, that to me shows a serious problem with priorities. I've been in countless debates since I've been online, and while political disagreements can certainly get nasty, nobody is as nasty as an animal lover if you venture an opinion they take issue with. I gave my opinion once that a firefighter shouldn't be expected to enter a burning building to save somebody's pet, and I was barraged with the most vile comments you can imagine. Some told me I'd be better off dead and they actually wished that on me. In other words, your dog is more important than somebody's husband, father, son. That to me indicates a bit of a mental problem, and certainly an unhealthy sense of an animal's worth.

I have nothing against pets, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to pet your dog if I come to your house. Just don't expect me to treat him as an equal.

***They changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. -- Romans 1:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullying/Free Speech

Happy Frigid New Year!

I'm Baaack!